Snapchat Q1 2017 statistics:
- Snapchat daily active users (DAUs) grew from 122 million in Q1 2016 to 166 million in Q1 2017, an increase of 36% year-over-year. DAUs increased 5% quarter-over-quarter, from 158 million in Q4 2016
- 3 billion snaps are created every day by Snapchat users, up from 2.5 billion in Q3 2016
- Snapchat users spent over 30 minutes per day in the app
- 45% of 18-34 year olds are reached by Snapchat in North America
- 87% of DAU cannot be reached by traditional TV networks
- Snapchat has grown its Android user base following Android improvements, to 30% of the net added users, up from 20% net added users in Q4 2017
- Snapchat has improved its advertising offering and 20% of Snapchat’s ad impressions are delivered by programmatic advertising
- Snapchat has received over 250,000 stories submissions during the Oscars and over 21 million global unique users watched Snapchat’s featured Oscars Stories
- Snap reported $149.65 million in revenue for Q1 of 2017, compared to $38.8 million for the same quarter last year
- Revenue rose 286 percent year-over-year in the first quarter
- Average revenue per user grew 181 percent from this time last year
- Snap had a net loss of $2.2 billion, compared to $104.58 million for Q1 of 2016
- Snapchat generated $8.3 million of “other” revenue in Q1, primarily driven by Spectacles sales (which means that the company sold around 66,000 pairs of Spectacles)
- Snapchat has 13 measurement partners ensuring accurate measurement of Snapchat ads
- Following Snap to Store ads product launch, Hollister placed the ads during the holiday season and over 63,000 snapchatters visited Hollister stores within 7 days nationwide
The importance of creativity and creation
During the earnings call Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel also spoke about how the company values and delivers its products with creativity and creation in mind, seeing the DAUs as a “function of creation”. This is one of the main reasons why the company doesn’t use alerts and notifications to encourage users to get back into the app but rather relies on Snapchat users to create great content and share it with their friends and family.
Evan Spiegel has also highlighted the importance of “removing friction from creative process” and lowering barriers to content creation which is what the app’s recent UI refresh supports.
See how Snapchat Q1 2017 statistics compare to the pre-IPO data reported earlier this year.
Latest posts by Inna Semenyuk (see all)
- You can now order an Uber right from Snapchat, thanks to Snapchat Context Cards - October 11, 2017
- Kate Hudson’s Stylist Has Launched Her Own Snapchat Fashion Show - September 8, 2017
- Join Total Eclipse Snapchat Viewing Party and celebrate the app’s new features - August 20, 2017